John O Donahue in his book "Anam Cara" tells us that "Every human heart seeks meaning; for it is in meaning that our deepest shelter lies."
Searching for meaning is like going on a treasure hunt to discover something far more rich, of more value than any buried chest we could ever find. Like going on a treasure hunt, certain tools are very helpful in locating the treasure. I wonder what tools help us discover our meaning in life.
Here are a few of my personal favorites:
1. A belief that I am capable of succeeding of discovering the meaning I am seeking.
2. Time in nature, especially in the woods or near water, helps me to quiet my mind so that I can hear the message of the meaning.
3. Meditation and prayer are two wonderful ways to set your intention and allow your meaning to naturally rise to the surface.
4. Journaling and reflection are effective ways to tease out the treasure from it's hiding place.
5. Talking to trusted friends. Often our good friends can see our blind spots so they help direct us when feeling lost and unsure of where we are.
6. Sacred Ceremonies set with an intention to locate a path to the meaning of an aspect of your life is one of my favorites ways to go on a treasure hunt for meaning. I have done ceremonies searching for boundaries, clarity and decision making as way to seek meaning of my current life experiences.
7. Self love and intimacy that I offer myself no matter where I am in life helps me to understand that I am exactly where I am supposed to be is one of my favorite ways to shine light on the buried treasure.
I would love to hear how you discover meaning in your life. Please feel free to share!
T.S. Eliot wrote, "we had the experience but missed the meaning." Don't be afraid to search for the meaning of your life's experience. Remember it will be worth more than gold, no matter the path you take to get there.